Leah's blog

Monday, June 26, 2006

I LOVE VENICE!!!!!! Absolutely love it to death! I got here late last night, as in my train got in around midnight, and then I had to walk to the bus depot, and take a bus to my middle of nowhere hostel thats not actually in venice at all. (Turns out when you find a super cheap hostel in a city where everything is normally booked way in advance, there may be a catch . . .) So right when I got here, I met these 2 girls from NY, and ended up hanging out with them til 4 in the morning or so, and they are so so hilarious! We had such a great night, and they changed their reservations for the next couple nights so they are staying here with me more! Then I dragged myself out of bed at a normal time this morning (running around for the past 3 days super intensely on very little sleep for 2 nights in a row is starting to hit me I think), and did as much of venice as I could. I spent a lot of the time just jumping on one of the boat bus things, and getting off wherever it looked pretty. I love the boats! I never realized that Venice is all canals and no cars or roads or anything, and everything is so so so pretty! And its virtually impossible to find anything to get besides pizza and gellato, so no complaints there! I sat on one of the bridges over a canal today and took my shoes off and let my feet dangle over the edge while eating gellato and listening to an accordian player walking around playing "that's amore". Now if thats not italy in a nutshell, I don't know what is! Tomorrow I'm planning on going up to the old Jewish quarter, where the first Jewish ghetto ever was and apparently there are some cool old synagogues and musuems up there. And I'll probably ride the boats a lot and eat some pizza too!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beware the pigeons in Piazza San Marco...

-Lizzy

3:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Leah, Here's something to sing next time you're on the canals (a little vino might help get you in the mood). I didn't write it myself, but I wish I did! Love, Mom

Amore lyrics

When the moon hits your eye
Like a big pizza pie
That's amore.

When an eel bites your hand
And that's not what you planned
That's a moray.

When our habits are strange
And our customs deranged
That's our mores.

When your horse munches straw
And the bales total four
That's some more hay.

When Othello's poor wife
Gets strangled in strife
That's a Moor, eh?

When a Japanese knight
Waves his sword in a fight
That's Samurai.

When your sheep go to graze
In a damp marshy place,
That's a moor, eh?

When your boat comes home fine
And you tied up her line
That's a moor, eh?

When you ace your last tests
Like you did all the rest
That's some more "A"s!

When on Mt. Cook you see
An Abo with glee,
That's a Maori.

A comedian-ham
With the name Amsterdam
That's a Morey.

When you've had quite enough
Of this dumb rhyming stuff
That's "No more!", eh?

When you go to Salt Lake
And you see Mrs. Blake
That's a Mormon -

If two grids intersect
and a pattern reflect
that's a moire.

Need the Hindi for "our?"
I can save you an hour...
that's "hamare."

When the trivia game
asks for "Borges' first name"
That's, um, "Jorge."

When a former James Bond
Takes a trip 'cross the pond
That's a Moore, eh?

When a Stooge pulls a gun
That can zap Curly's buns,
That's a Moe Ray..

now Rebecca can act,
and she's sexy, in fact;
That DeMornay

When your graham cracker's smudged
with marshmallow and fudge
That's smore, eh!

When a glacier's gone by,
leaving sand and dirt piled high,
that's a moraine...

I have here a beer
But it's all gone, I fear
How 'bout some more? Hey!

When all's said and done
When it comes to a pun
We've no mores

When these puns hit my eye
All it wants to do is cry.
Please - no more, eh?

6:53 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Leah:

Can I possibly top your mom's note? I don't think I can. So, I'll just remind you that I'm now reading this every day and am still SUPREMELY jealous. I need to hurry up and get famous/rich/become a worldwide jetsetting traveler.

Cool.

I love you.

Do you read these comments?

Love,

Me

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So while you're off enjoying all Europe has to offer we're all left here at home in about a billion inches of rain. I guess I'm saying you'd better have a good photo album when you get back!

Oh, and I got to drop by Atlanta this past weekend and I saw the new aquarium they have. It's awesome! It's even better than our fishtank last year (which is definitely tough to pull off, but I guess we didn't have sharks and whales in our fishtank). Let's just say it gave me some ideas for our new fishtank this year...

Have fun in <-- insert amazing european city where leah will be enjoying the food, atmosphere, people, etc. here -->!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home