Leah's blog

Friday, June 09, 2006

Yesterday was the best day ever! ok, well maybe not ever, but definitely my favorite in London. After I took Riss to the airport, I came back to the hostel, and finally moved to a new hostel. This one is right near Notting Hill and Hyde Park, so there are pretty gardens and everything right around it, and I haven't explored this neighborhood of London yet, so I'm excited to check it out. Then I took a bus to STA travel (and, for the first time ever, the bus I got on actually went where I thought it was going to go!) and bought my rail pass and my ticket to Paris for next wednesday. Then I got lunch at a cute little sandwich shop and sat and people watched for a while, and then took to tube over to the Tower of London, which was incredible! They have the guys dress up in the traditional guard costumes and do tours of the whole place, and the guides are so enthusiastic and hilarious and everyone gets really into it! After the tour, I went and saw the crown jewels and all the old armor and weapons and everything. Then, I walked along the Thames river, and crossed London bridge to get to the tube stop. I didn't get to enjoy the bridge too much, because this was right at 6 pm so it was packed with business men in suits and I thought if I stopped to take a picture or look around, I'd get stampled real bad. Then I took the tube up to northern london, and met up with the british girls for dinner. These girls are so much fun! I'm completely in love with all of them! and we also have plans for tonight (one of the girls has a crush on the partner at her office, and they're all going to a pub to watch the world cup, but she doesn't like soccer at all, so she told me to come along and be the gap between girls and soccer and then also give her my opinion on the crush!), and I think we may have made plans to go out saturday night too. After dinner, the giant came over and met up with us to go to a couple different bars in the area. All in all, a fantastic day and night! I think I'm going to take it kind of slow today. I've been feeling like I may be getting a bit sick, and one good night sleep could send it away, but I keep running around too much. And the world cup starts this afternoon, so I'm completely stoked to watch in a crowded pub with everyone going nuts! I think this travelling alone thing is going to be such an incredible summer! Maybe it'll hit me how scary it should be once I'm in a country where they don't speak English, but until then, I'm loving it!

1 Comments:

Blogger CarolS said...

Leah, I'm so glad once again that you're loving London. Notting Hill and Hyde Park are great areas - I lived near Hyde Park close to Lancaster Gate and near to Paddington Station at 35 Craven Terrace (German Y) if you walk by. There's a great Italian restaurant across the street and great pub down the street. Make sure you go on the London Eye even though it's pricey - it's the best show in town for seeing everything all at one time. If you can get a same day theatre ticket at Leicester Square, definitely try for Billy Elliott. It's 100 times better than the movie - the best show that Jenna and I have ever seen. You will absolutely love it and it's worth it. I haven't sent your BD gift yet but it will be my treat and I'm visiting your house in two weeks and I'll leave it for you (try to go - you won't regret it). And then on to Paris - your dad is correct, crepes au chocolat, or choclate crepes (which also are typically made with Nutello) are the BEST! Cousin Alex discovered them on my recommendation and he didn't regret it. This is so exciting getting to ready your blogs; it certainly sounds like the pubs are hit with you. Loads of love from Jenna, Allie, Larry, and me

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home