Leah's blog

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Sorry it's been forever since I posted, but here's goes . . . or maybe it's just that a couple days can feel like forever when you're travelling, who knows? Anyway, I'm still having a complete blast, and am so happy I'm doing this this summer. Don't remember everything from the past couple days, but here are the highlights: On saturday, Maggie's dad was here, so I got to meet up with him in his super fancy neighborhood for lunch. Then I caught the end of the first England game in a pub, and people were going nuts! They were all standing and overflowing into the streets and just having an awesome time. Later that night, me and the giant went out with the British girls, and had such a fun time! And one of the girls drove us to the bar in her teeny little european car, so I got my first official ride as a leftie shotgun, which is just weird. Then super early the next morning, the giant and I went on a bus day trip to Stonehenge and Bath. Both were incredible! On the way back, me and the giant were starting to irritate each other, so we've completely split ways since neither one of us felt like fighting with someone we've known for a week. So last night I came to my last hostel in London, which is near London bridge. I love moving from hostel to hostel every couple days! I feel like I've gotten to live in every cool region for at least a couple days now. Yesterday I did the London Eye, which is pretty much a ginormous ferris wheel that you can see everything from, and then walked up to Leicester square to check out how the half price tickets work (I'm going to try to see a show tonight . . . Aunt Carol -- I'm shooting for Billy Elliot, but that wasn't one of the choices for yesterday. We'll see what they have today), and then I stopped in a little pub for lunch and to watch the Australia/Japan game. I totally thought it was all little Japanese girls in the pub for most of the game, and those girls can make a lot of noise! However, I found out in the last 10 minutes (when Australia had an incredible comeback scoring 3 goals in the last 10 minutes!) that there were actually quite a few Aussies in the pub too, and they went NUTS! There were aussies dancing in the streets wearing the flag and singing and just going completely crazy! It was great! Then I came back to my hostel, and watched the US/czech game in the bar there with a whole bunch of American backpackers. Not the best game, but a good time anyway. After that, I actually did laundry for the first time, so clean clothes feel very refreshing. After that, I was sharing a room with 2 sets of 2 Canadians, and the 5 of us decided to just stay in and not get dressed up (its about a million degrees here and we were all just sweating like crazy) and get a couple bottles of cheap wine and play fun drinking games. The 5 of us were such an unlikely 5-some (one super punk girl with bright green hair and lots of tatoos, one gay former druggie, one jewish pre-med guy, one guy from some teeny fishing town or something, and me), but we seriously just all clicked awesomely, and had one of the greatest nights! Let's just say it ended up with me and the gay guy drunkenly karaoke-ing to a whole new world! Anyway, the 4 of them say we have to go out again tonight, but I want to see a show and see the British girls one more time before getting to the trainstation at 4:45 tomorrow morning to go to Paris! I love this!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Weah, Great to hear from you and glad you're having such a great time (except for the drinking games with the Aussies). Have a terrific time at the theater tonight and trip to Paris tomorrow morning. We're all good at home, although some of us are super upset by how poorly the US played against the Czechs, and Koller's injury. Love, Mom

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Leah, don't be shy and tell everybody that you actually cheer for the Czech team.....that will make you cool anywhere you will go for next month - Czech team is going for the Cup to Berlin!
Have fun in Paris. France is playing today, so you better cheer for them! (some cute French guys with amusing French accent might find it desirable ;-)
your bro-in law

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for my dad! I'm so glad to hear you're having such a good time and a variety of shiznit to entertain yourself.

Let me tell you about all the stuff there is to do in Decatur:



There it is.

Heart,
Debbie Downer (wah-waah)

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leah,
I heard from your Mom that you saw Billy Elliott and loved it - I'm so glad. Isn't it fun to watch, and what great bawdy languague and a beautiful theatre! I'm glad that you got to ride the Eye as it's my favorite tourist site. I hope the train to Paris was fun - did you go thru the Chunnel or by train and ferry? Can't wait to hear about it. Have a great time in Paris and stop at lots of patisseries (pastry shops) and boulangeres (breadshops) for me! I hope you won't miss the British pubs too much, you'll have to suffer with French wine which is a chore that I would welcome. Have fun and be smart and careful at the same time! Love from Acton MA, Aunt Carol

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home