Leah's blog

Sunday, July 02, 2006

I'm in Rome now, and completely exhausted. I got in yesterday around 7, and nobody was in my hostel room, so I set out by myself. I took the metro down to the Colleseum, and walked around it from the outside there and it's incredible, but I was too exhausted and overwhelmed by too much to do in Rome and not knowing where to start, so I walked back to my hostel, and got back right when the Brazil/France game was starting, so I stopped to watch at the 1 place in Rome that was showing it. While watching, I made a little group of American friends with a 31 year old couple from Boston who was celebrating their 1 year anniversary, a 40 year old eccentric woman from Alexandria, and a 40 something Indian former mechanical engineer from Georgia. After the game, we all hung out there and the 40 year old woman kept buying us all shots of Limoncello and we all just had a good time. Then I came back to my hostel and passed out, and slept crazy late. or at least 9:15, which is apparently the hostel equivalent to 2 in the afternoon or something, because everyone in my room had been up and out for hours. Today I went to St. Peter basilica in the Vatican, which I've heard will make me not enjoy any other church in Europe, and that may be true because it was absolutely spectacular. I climbed the bajillion steps to the top of the dome, and hung out outside for a bit there. Then from there I walked to this place that called itself the tomb of the unknown soldier, but it really felt more like a palace or something. I climbed up to all sorts of levels in this building, and then the military band came and started playing fun marches, and it was just a great place to see the whole city. Then I walked over to the Pantheon, which is so much bigger and more incredible than I thought it would be just from reading about it. Then I walked to the main fountain that I forget the name of, but its the one with all the big statues and you have to throw a coin over your shoulder, so I did that. From there, I walked to the Spanish steps and walked down the main road with all the Prada/Gucci/Versaci stores, and ended up in another big piazza. I explored a couple churches and monuments and fountains around there, and then decided to call it a day before my body gets too exhausted to keep going. So now its 7 and I'm back at my hostel, hopefully I'll wake up early tomorrow to do the Vatican museum and the Sistine chapel, and then maybe I'll actually go in the Colleseum tomorrow afternoon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It all sounds great. Make sure to remember everything about the Sistine Chapel for me. Love, Mom

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home